Mary R. LaCivita is Of Counsel to the firm.
Ms. LaCivita practices family law exclusively including complex and smaller divorce, paternity, modification and enforcement matters, restraining orders and prenuptial agreements. She has developed a reputation for bringing compassion and civility into family law negotiations. Ms. LaCivita’s extensive trial and motion practice is balanced with out-of-court negotiated settlements. Her intention is to keep all cases out of court if possible with an understanding that it cannot always be avoided and is sometimes a necessary tool for resolution in high-conflict custody, support or asset division cases. The array of problem-solving processes she presents to clients allows her to apply the appropriate process towards each individual case.
Ms. LaCivita previously worked at Boston Law Collaborative, LLC as a Senior Associate concentrating in family law. She also worked at Prince, Lobel, Glovsky & Tye, LLP as an associate in the Domestic Relations group. She served as a law clerk to the Honorable Justices of the Massachusetts Probate and Family Court in Barnstable, Suffolk and Bristol counties.
Ms. LaCivita is a member of the Norfolk and Plymouth County Bar Associations, The Massachusetts Association of Guardians ad Litem and the Massachusetts Collaborative Law Council. She is a mentor for the Women’s Bar Foundation’s Family Law Project for Battered Women. She also volunteers regularly as Lawyer for the Day in Plymouth and Norfolk Counties.
Ms. LaCivita graduated from Boston University (Cum Laude) in 1994, earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in History, and earned her Juris Doctorate from Suffolk University Law School in 2000 (Cum Laude). She was an Executive Board member and Second Year Trial Competition Director on the Moot Court Board at Suffolk University Law School. She was also a Regional Quarterfinalist in appellate advocacy for the National Moot Court Team during law school. Ms. LaCivita has been named as one of Massachusetts’s “Rising Star Super Lawyers” in family law in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2011 by the publishers of Law & Politics and the publishers of Boston Magazine. She was born in Danville, Kentucky and presently resides with her husband, David, and son, Michael in Brockton, Massachusetts.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. (Cum Laude) – 2000
- Honors: Executive Board Member and Second Year Trial Competition Director on the Moot Court Board
- Boston University
- B.A. (Cum Laude) – 1994
- Major: History
- The Kinder, Gentler Settlement Meeting: How What you Say and What You Eat Can Make a Difference, Seacoast Collaborative Divorce Professionals, Presenter, 2011
- The Unemployed/Underemployed Spouse in a Divorce Case, Boston Bar Association, Presenter, 2010
- Family Law for Paralegals, Mass. Continuing Legal Education (MCLE), Presenter and Author, 2006
Honors and Awards
- Named one of Massachusetts’s “Rising Star Super Lawyers” in Family Law, Law & Politics and Publishers of Boston Magazine, 2005 – 2008; 2010, 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Norfolk County Bar Association, Member
- Plymouth County Bar Association, Member
- Massachusetts Association of Guardians ad Litem, Member
- Women’s Bar Foundation’s Family Law Project for Battered Women, Mentor
- Massachusetts Collaborative Law Council, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Boston Law Collaborative, LLC, Senior Associate
- Prince, Lobel, Glovsky & Tye, LLP, Associate
- Hon. Justices of the Massachusetts Probate and Family Court in Barnstable, Suffolk and Bristol Counties, Law Clerk